Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mosaics in Fused Glass? Beautiful!

We love mosaics! Whether they are on the wall of an ancient Pompeiian villa or on the floor of a Seattle Banana Republic, mosaics appeal to something deep within us.

Using bits and pieces of fusible glass, I create my mosaics by carefully fitting together the pieces like solving a jigsaw puzzle. The colors need to coordinate, the shapes need to be interesting, and most of all, I need to be patient. The "grout" is really very finely ground glass called "frit."



Sometimes, I enjoy adding surprising details to my mosaics. The bowl above has bright lines of colored glass called stringer placed randomly on top of the mosaic.

The bowl to the left includes round dots of glass and a mix of translucent and opaque glass pieces.

The bowl below features stringer in the shape of swirls on top for something really fun.

I don't think I'll ever stop making mosaics, and fused glass mosaics keep offering me more opportunities to play!

Visit some of our mosaics for sale on our etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OmegaArtDesign

No comments: